anthro-geek

Friday, May 13, 2005

getting (?) cranky

Quote from my spouse: "You better get to bed before you fail everyone in the class."

I can not believe it. I teach at several colleges. One of which has a good reputation (although part of that is due to - feh - sports). I have just read some of the poorest papers written by students from this "college."

One of whom used the World Book Encyclopedia as a source.

I love teaching. I really do. I love teaching at the college level (and just to prove that I'm insane, I also like teaching junior high too.)

I can't say "what's the matter with kids today?" I'm not that much older (ish). I am not the best writer in the world. But I am okay. I have articles published in peer reviewed journals. I have edited scholastic material. I made my living writing grants (which were awarded, btw.) So I have a clue.

Part of the problem is, I believe, that some of the students waited until 3 or 4 days before their TERM PAPER, worth 20% of their grade, was due. I really hope that explains it.

In defense of great undergraduate students everywhere, I have some really amazing and wonderful students. And most of them attend a local, low profile community college.

There are times I really do wish I was a computer programmer.

Anthro-geek

p.s. My cunning plan is to write much more on the blog this summer. I hope to write my ethnographic observations down more frequently and to use this space as a place to make notes on the cultures I am part of and observe. We shall see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home